From:
Marcia Annandale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:42:48 +1300
Dear Sally

Just last week a former client who had suffered terribly with breast
pain (sharp, shooting and random in nature) rang to tell me she was
experiencing the same thing with baby #2 until it resolved
immediately after having acupuncture.

The acupuncturist she visited confidently told her the pain was
neuralgia and said he would put needles directly into the nipple!
Once she got over the thought of it and contemplated on-going
shooting pain, she opted to go ahead.

She said she could feel the needles going in but it was nowhere near
as bad as the shooting pain and again, the relief was immediate.

Now I don't know what to make of this. I'm always rather skeptical
about such quick fixes and I'd hate to think women the world over will
be subjected to this "treatment" unnecessarily but I post here for
consideration and discussion.

The more logical side of me wonders if your client has a very intense
MER (assuming peak milk output was achieved with first baby at 8
weeks and this baby at 4 weeks - conceivable). The excessive rush
of milk trying to exit the nipple pores may cause milk back up, duct
dilatation and pain (?).

I note things seemed to come right with Diflucan (Fluconazole) the
first time, but was that to do with Fluconazole's vasoconstrictive
effect (see Wilson-Clay/Hoover BF Atlas page 47) rather than it
having treated thrush?

However, this doesn't explain why the Fluconazole treatment to date
hasn't helped especially after 12 days.

Best wishes
Marcia Annandale, LLLL, IBCLC
Christchurch,NZ