From:
Debbie Rabin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 02:27:28 -0400
Linda- (and anyone else interested in oral motor /swallowing courses)

I would first suggest a course by Marjorie Myer Palmer, author if the
Neonatal Oral Motor Assessment Scale (NOMAS). Although this is a scale, and a
course, for bottle feeding, she teaches the basics of neonatal swallowing.
She also teaches a course on adapting this scale for breastfeeding. Geri
Lodgeman teaches about videofleuroscopy and swallowing disorders and is very
technical but you will learn about  swallowing anatomy and physiology. Glass
and Wolf (I am sorry I don't remember their first names) are two OT's who
have published  books on infant feeding and articles on breastfeeding. I
believe they also teach a course on infant feeding. Another excellent course
is by Debra Beckman where you will learn excellent hands on techniques for
children and adults with oral motor and feeding disorders. Debra says she is
on a Florida breastfeeding commitee, and is very supportive and respectfull
of brestfeeding.  And of course, UCLA has their excellent breastfeeding
courses through UCLA extension.