From:
Carol Brussel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 00:23:14 EST
i see two threads going here tonight that tie together very well. one is, does
every woman really know that bf is better? i tend to agree that they have all
heard that, etc., but (here is where we tie into the "breastfeeding crimes"
thread) when they hear absolutely tons of misinformation and outright lies
from persons in authority in hospitals, who are they to believe? it is pretty
hard for me to go in and say, well, that information is wrong and this
information they told you is wrong, and furthermore the way they handle this
is going to ruin breastfeeding, and why would they want you to give a pacifier
to a baby who is supposed to be gaining weight, etc.?

it is very hard for someone to believe that a person who is a professional of
a type they have never heard of before and who doesn't work for the hospital
is as believable as the persons who work in the hospital. *especially* if the
person in the hospital has the same "title" as i do. then there must be a
discussion about how "lactation nurse" is not the same as "board certified
lactation consultant" etc. i know i said this already, but would you expect to
be treated in a hospital by someone called "the kidney doctor" who was not
board certified? just because maybe that person was "interested in kidneys" or
"once had a kidney problem himself"? only when breastfeeding is taken
seriously will we have an end to such titles as "lactation nurse," a
breastfeeding crime if i ever heard of one.

the unfortunate outcome seems to be that only when things are going so badly
that a mother realizes that breastfeeding is doomed, can she turn to me (us)
and say, tell me what to do, i will believe you now because what the others
have told me is just not working. and sometimes that is too late.

so you can see what one of the crimes might be. gail, the list is endless!

carol brussel IBCLC

ps. jay, feed those babies. one good thing about it is, you will have a much
better idea of what might be "wrong" with the way those babies are trying to
nurse. be glad the midwives didn't try to get you to just take them home for
24 hours . . . wouldn't be the first time.