From:
Debby Aiton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 1997 19:02:16 -0700
We are currently attempting to become a breastfeeding friendly family.
We got off to an excellent start.  One staff member became certified as
a Lactation Educator and we have sense had a consultant join our staff.
We have made excellent progress in getting the baby to breast in the
first hour putting our other procedures down in priority.  Our initial
education is now given on a systematic basis.

Where we fall apart is with problem feeders.  There seems to be a wide
gap between opinions on what to do next.

Infant does not feed for the next 12 hours.

How long should we let the infant go?
When exactly should pumping start?
When should cup feeding start?

We need a protocal that we can introduce to our peds so we have a
systematic way of dealing with problem or reluctant feeders.

Anyone have such a protocal that we could refernce.

People are panicking a bringing out bottles.  The nurses do not feel
comfortable when the infant does not readily breastfeed.  While we have
resource people they are not funded to be around all the time.
Therefore if can teach the next step approach, our resource people can
be utilized on the really Tough cases.

Debby Aiton, RN CBE LE