From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:01:19 EDT
Barb writes;
>>He told mom apparently her milk doesn't have enough calories in it, and
besides " she has
> breastfeed for 2 months now and the immunities have all been used up".
Pat offered some great ideas!
Would search medline for the great articles on brfdng. cardiac babies.
Published within the last 5 yrs., a big point of emphasis is the fact that
these babes have issues with low oxygen saturations and that the physiology
of the breastfdng suckle is much more optimal than a bottle in terms of that,
important info for any primary care person making recommendations to bottle
fd.
Also, couldn't we just give this babe a little more time? Tweak the
breastfdng. somewhat, monitor the wt. closely but realize that he just had
cardiac surgery! The big picture is more than just wt. gain!
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc- I hold a special place in my heart for these
"cardiac" babies as my first job as a nurse was on the cardiac unit at
Children's Hospital-Boston