From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 09:58:19 -0400
Hi all!

Back from Scottsdale and trying to catch up, so this may be a bit behind the
times.  Back in the dim dark recesses of my past as a "real" nurse - meaning
on the med-surg floors - there was a time (guess in the early 70's) when
sugar was advocated as the best treatment for decubiti (bed sores for the
uninitiated).  It was abandoned fairly quickly, as I recall.  We went through
a lot of stuff trying to get rid of those sores - I remember a period when we
put Maalox on them; heat lamps were a big treatment - still are - but sugar
itself didn't last long.

Why vaseline?  Petroleum jelly rots latex.  I'm not sure it would hurt the
baby, but I'm equally not convinced it is going to help the mother.

Saline soaks for ulcerated nipples have been used for a long time - they seem
helpful.  Kathleen Huggins had a great article in the JHL (Sept. '94??) about
sore nipples & the treatment thereof - working with a bf friendly
dermatologist.

Ugh.  The more I think about the sugar, the less I like it.

Or vaseline.  Nasty.

Jan B.  (Still on Scottsdale time, and yawning.....)

I brought "cool" weather back home with me - high yesterday was only 89.
 Torrey Beth will be 17 tomorrow....I can't believe it!