Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 18:58:29 +0200
Hi all,
While Gonneke has mentioned terminology, there is a topic that has been
discussed before if I recall but never resolved. The FOOTBALL hold!!!!!!!!!!
Can we all agree to call it what it is - a side hold.?????
A football in the USA is an eliptical ball held under ones arm while running
to a goal.
A football in Europe and most parts of the world is round and more commonly
known as a soccer ball and kicked with the feet to the opponents goal.
What connection could there possibly be between the European soccer ball and
a football hold?? None.
This discussion came up years ago, and I recall everyone agreeing to this,
yet our most esteemed colleagues are still using the American term. Why does
this bother me so much? Well, could be because most of my clients have no
idea what a US football is so cannot connect the two, and they proceed to
call what we know as the 'SIDE" HOLD, a baseball hold. Now that is creative.
They just know that there is a hold called after a US sport, but just got
the baseball confused with the football.

Can we think more globally?

Ellen Shein, LLLI, IBCLC
Tel Aviv Israel