From:
Shaughn Leach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2007 22:29:07 +0900
Forgive me if this has been discussed on Lactnet and I missed it but my last
post has just reminded me of my interest in what comes naturally to mothers
and using previous knowledge upon which to build and adapt new information.

I am interested in the fact that here in Australia most midwives are taught
the transition hold (cross cradle? anyway opposite hand to breast!) in their
training and not having any idea how to assist mothers who wish to
breastfeed using the cradle hold.  I come from a NMAA (now ABA) background,
LC private practice and only recently became a midwife and I have to say
that for many years I called the transition hold 'the midwife hold' as it
seemed so entrenched in their training and I perceived they really felt that
it was the 'best' hold.  In fact I have been told by a couple of midwives
lately that 'we don't use the cradle hold at this hospital as you can't get
as much breast into the baby's mouth'. I know this isn't true but I am
rather amazed and quietly appalled that the transition hold has taken over
from what is probably the hold that most mothers have visual imagery to
build upon e.g. how many art works have you seen lately with the mother
holding baby in the transition hold?

Is this lack of information just happening in Australia's midwifery
training?

I would be interested to know how many first time mothers would choose to
use the transition hold as their first choice if left to their own devices.

Shaughn Leach RM IBCLC DipT
Perth, Western Australia

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
11:30 AM