From:
Kim Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 04:09:14 -0700
Hi everybody,

Has anyone ever heard of a nursing mother getting ringworm on her
breasts? We have a mother in our LLL Group who called me a couple of
weeks ago with what she described as a rash on her right breast, on the
underside of her nipple, on the areola. She had noticed it for about a
week before she called but it wasn't causing her any problems so she
didn't worry. What prompted her to call was that the red area had cracked
open and was now painful when nursing. We discussed various possiblities
but nothing really "fit". She decided to wait a little longer before
seeking other treatment but called again after a few days because the
rash had now appeared on the other breast, in the same spot.

I honestly didn't have any idea what this could be so I referred her to
either a lactation consultant, or to her family physician if she
preferred. I saw her at our meeting today and she finally did see her
family doctor who diagnosed her with ringworm! I haven't actually seen a
case of ringworm before (this is one childhood health issue that I've
never had to deal with. Now ask me about lice or scabies, that's another
story!) but I checked my medical references book and it does match what's
described. The possibility of ringworm never even crossed my mind and
even if I had seen this mother in person, I still don't think it would
have made any difference.

Anyone else ever dealt with a case like this?

Kim
Kim Balzer, La Leche League Leader
Area Communications Coordinator--LLL N.CA/HI
Sebastopol, CA
Email address: [log in to unmask]

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance or
conscientious stupidity."    --Martin Luther King, Jr.