From:
Janice Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 23:42:25 -0400
Sara Reuning wrote:

>  My Aug. 98 Consumer Reports arrived, and on pg. 55, features an article
on
>disposable diapers.  Included was an assessment of overnight diapers.
Guess
>what they used to indicate how much fluid such a diaper might hold?  ABM
>bottles--and not just any bottles--P******!  Did I expect them to use
>pictures of breasts?  No, but for the "obvious" choice to be bottles is
>extremely disappointing and disheartening.
>  Inside the front cover of the magazine is the following statement:
>"Unbiased advice to help you and your family make important choices."  What
>more important choice could we make for our children than to breastfeed
>them?  It is a sad commentary that an organization which accepts no
>advertising in order to maintain objectivity and avoid giving endorsements
>of products would, without even realizing it, *promote* bottle feeding.

I agree -- we should definitely barrage them with replies on how biased the
use of bottles was. There seems to be no way to give feedback from their Web
site unless you become a site subscriber (for $2.95 a month or $24 a year --
no thanks).

Send letters to the editor to:
Consumer Reports
PO Box 2015