From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 21:14:17 EDT
Pam,
I thought gentian violet was dangerous, a potential poison and NOT to be
swallowed!  I've had a baby with severe mouth ulcers from it.  Of course
mother was slopping it in baby's mouth 4 times a day following the same method
as she did with the nystatin.
Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC
Lynchburg, VA

I decided to recommend that mom, dad and baby all treat with gentian violet
orally, while mom put it on her nipples for the soreness. (Helped within
hours.)  They are "good sports" and are laughing at their clown faces.  I
suggested that the parents put some g/v into a small amount of water and
swish in their mouths, gargle, then swallow.