From:
Katherine Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 14:56:53 EDT
In a message dated 9/16/00 11:17:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 It would be more useful to suggest that newborns generally nurse 8-12
 times per 24 hours >>

Perhaps, though, it would be prudent to mention that many babies nurse much
more frequently, and that that is also acceptable.  I've counseled many
mothers who are concerned when baby wants to nurse once an hour (or even
more) for short feedings around the clock.

This advice that most newborns will nurse 8-12 times per hour when fed on
cue, is, ime not very accurate if feeding is occuring upon baby giving early
cues.  This leads mom to believe that most babies will nurse every 2-3
hours.......which isn't far off from Ezzo's regime of 3 hour scheduling.
While some babies do nurse every 2-3 hours (or cluster feed, as you
mentioned, then go for longer periods), in my experience babies actually
nurse much more frequently if mom isn't obsessed with watching the clock and
is truly feeding on cue.

I wish there was mention in LLL literature and in AAP info that is acceptable
*and* biologically appropriate for babies to nurse *very* frequently - ie
hourly or even more than that.

Both of my pediatricians, upon mentioning that my fully breastfed baby nursed
on cue anywhere from every 15 min- every hour...'but usually every hour for
about five minute' where terrified.  "NO!!!  Don't let her feed like that!
She won't get enough fatty hindmilk, will compromise your milk supply and
won't gain weight"

Other mothers that i work with routinely hear similar statements like the
above not only from their pediatricians, but unfortunately even from hospital
staff - *most* unfortuantely, even from lactation consultants in a few
specific instances.

I fear that when mom's hear that they should 'aspire to nurse 20 minutes each
side every two hours', or 'baby will nurse 8-12 times in a 24 hour period'
that we're setting them up for frustration when their baby, with total
biological normalcy, is one who prefers to feed very frequently.

katherine morrison
student midwife
atlanta ga