From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 07:16:50 -0800
"It is an experience on does not forget quickly so that
information collected a couple or even several years later will be
useful."

Indeed, I have not forgotten much of my NICU experience with my son,
 25 years ago.  In a crowded space, filled with isolettes, cribs, baby
warmers, monitors and a space basically for three extra chairs in the
room, I felt the Children's Hospital (San Francisco) ICN was the most
supportive place on earth.  They always found room for another parent
and baby; they always had time to teach me and encourage me to
take care of my very cherished live-born child, even though I was there
18 hours a day;  they were scrupulous about not giving formula when I
wasn't there; they helped me and encouraged me in bringing in my
supply through the days before David was allowed to nurse, and then
they stood by and helped again when nursing was less than
perfect(after the first feeding).  With one exception (one nurse was very
 mean and very old fashioned, and wouldn't let me hold David, except
to feed him), they were warm, friendly, and supportive of  our family.

Chanita, San Francisco