From:
Kelly Vackert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 21:02:54 -0400
Has anyone had experience with oral Lactobacillus reuteri for colicky breastfed
babies?

RE:  Pediatrics Vol. 119 No. 1 Jan 2007, pp. e124-e130 (Lactobacillus reuteri
(American Type Culture Collection Strain 55730) Versus Simethicone in the
Treatment of Infantile Colic: A Prospective Randomized Study)

I searched the archives and Karen Gromada also posted about this but I
couldn't find any replies to her posting.  Janice Reynolds, thank you for your
information regarding reuteri and probiotics that you posted last year!  : )

Since L.reuteri is already present in breastmilk why would additional oral
L.reuteri need to be given to a colicky bf baby?  I'm speculating it may be
because some individuals may have low levels of this probiotic??  Please tell
me if this is incorrect...I can't think of other reasons but think there probably
is!

What about formulas that contain probiotics.....is colic reduced/eliminated for
those babies on these types of ABM?

I am hoping someone will be able to enlighten me on this...it really sparked my
curiosity!

Warmly,
Kelly Vackert