From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:30:45 -0400
> Lara asks if bedsharing is riskier for moms who bottle feed their babies
> with EBM or is this risk only with ABM.  In other words is it the method
> of feeding or the food which indicates risk.  There is not clear
> evidence on this but here's a quote from an epidemiologist in response
> to the study recently published on the greater risk of death in children
> under 1 year if they were ABM fed,

I also recall seeing some very interesting research by (I believe) Helen
Ball in England where they videotaped bottlefeeding and breastfeeding
mothers sleeping with their babies. As I remember it, the breastfeeding
mothers tended to sleep facing the baby, with one arm stretched out over the
top of the baby's head. In this position, it would be very difficult to roll
over onto the baby - your own arm would be in the way. The bottlefeeding
mothers more often slept with their backs towards the baby or in other
less-safe positions. So it might well be that the method of feeding does
make a difference - the mother who falls asleep while breastfeeding finds
herself naturally in the safest position.

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario