From:
Lee-Ann Halbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 09:57:52 -0700
To 1200 of my closest unmet friends..
I'm a bit behind on posts, but did catch one about the mom who had a
breast biopsy, but still nursing a 7 mo babe, and the subsequent probs.
I just underwent a breast lump biopsy ("lumpectomy?) yesterday, and
expect an "all clear" sign later today.  The reason I'm a bit disturbed
is that in talking to some of my friends, the nurses at the hosp, and
several other people, it seems having a lump removed is somewhat common
these days.  Mine was removed because while it was felt (found by the
midwife at my annual exam...thanks!), it did not show up on the mammogram
or ultrasound, so its cause could not be determined.
My issue?  The surgeon mentioned that MRI's and CAT scans are not
developed to the point of being reliable for breast masses.  According to
the med student who attended the surgery (they do lots of research on
these things before they meet the patients), as many as 15% of lumps
don't show up on mammograms or ultrasounds, as mine didn't.  I understand
the hypervigilance for checking out a mass of unknown origin, but I
wonder what all this cutting is doing to breastfeeding.  I did not ask
the surgeon if this will affect any future lactation, as I know we are
done with having kids, and my lactating days are long gone (sigh...).
But she didn't ask me about it either.
The rant?  Why don't we have the technology yet to look at more of these
lumps in a non-invasive may?  Is any money (and if so, is it enough, used
appropriately and expeditiously?) going to perfecting MRI, CAT scan or
any other non-invasive technique for checking out these lumps?  I have to
tell you, having the surgery was no fun, and if I thought it would affect
any future lactation I'm not sure what I'd do.
Thanks for the time to vent, rant, and raise some bothersome questions...
Lee-Ann