Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 21:21:46 EDT
Norma,

<<  This is a monoclonal antibody,
 which is given by injection in one dose of 5g per Kg. It is considered to
 be experimental, and so there is not a whole lot of info about it. The
 drug company recommendation is that the mother either stops nursing or
 doesn't take the drug. >>

I have a mom who is being given the drug too.  Her physician
(gastroenterologist) is quite convinced the drug is perfectly compatible w/
breastfeeding.  I'm sorry I don't remember the specifics, but she and I sat
down together and went over all the drug information.  Tom, correct me if I'm
wrong, but I'm remembering an extremely short half life, and a very large
molecular weight -- something over 1000, if memory serves me.  For some
reason I'm remembering the 1/2 life as being something like .6 hours, but
that might have been something else.  (That does seem awfully short).  In any
case, we talked about it at great length, she talked about it w/ her GI who
has worked extensively w/ the drug, and said that if it were HIS wife, he
would encourage her to continue breastfeeding!!!  Anyway, she also discussed
it w/ one of the peds in our group, and the long and the short of it is that
she will continue to breastfeed.  I recommended that when she get it, she get
several samples of breastmilk -- her doc is willing -- nay, EAGER -- to test
the milk to see if/what amount of drug is in it at varying times after the
infusion.

Good luck.  I hope Tom responds as well.

Jan B, just back from beautiful Madison, WI -- what a pretty town -- where
the people are delightfully friendly, and the butterburgers are terrific!