From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:44:49 -0500
I still don't know what to think about breast shells.  I know the research
showing they did at least as much harm as good, presumably because they
eroded the woman's confidence.  I also know that the research was conducted
in a culture that isn't as gadget-crazy as ours.  Do Americans feel
invincible if they can tackle a problem with the help of a gadget, and
uncertain if they have to tackle it with nothing but their imperfect
bodies?

So I take the middle road, describing the shell, the research, and my
theory about how people in the US may differ from the Queen's own.  And I
watch for a glimmer.  Some people glimmer with relief when they realize
they don't really need it, some glimmer when they look at the shiny can-do
packaging.  The last pair of shells I sold was to a pregnant woman who'd
failed with her first and spent 10 months pumping, then heard about shells.
She **wanted** them for this second pregnancy.  I gave her the shells,
positioning info, a look at my own nipples (that looked pretty much like
hers), and my phone number for consults and pump rentals.  Never heard
back, so I assume her Dumbo feather worked.

The last time the issue has come up was with a pregnant woman last month.
I did the spiel, reassured her that her nipples were fine (though I
wondered), learned that she'd be using a doula, told her I was even more
sure since she'd have good help, reminded her to strive for a good birth,
no separation, and a cup not a bottle if supplements were needed.  Haven't
heard.  But I do wonder if a Dumbo feather may be a good thing for some US
women...

(For those of you who don't know him, Dumbo was a big-eared little elephant
who learned to use those ears to fly, holding a feather in his trunk for
security.  He was convinced he couldn't fly without it, until the day came
when he lost the feather in mid-air... and kept on flying.)

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY