From:
Jill Dye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 00:13:52 +0000
I now have to introduce myself after lurking on Lactnut for about a
month, in response to Dr Newman's challenge to UK lactnetters about
Nestle advertising through the Royal Mail.

I have been a La Leche League leader in England for about nine years and
have been involved in breastfeeding activism on the national level for a
long time.  The Post Office seems to be happy to take anyone's money.
The National Breastfeeding Working Group investigated getting the Post
Office to use a pro breastfeeding cancellation during National
Breastfeeding Awareness Week (in May each year), but we couldn't afford
it.  The Post Office managed to save itself from being privitised under
the last government, but had to do every thing it could to raise money,
thus promoting Nestle.  I don't think things are likely to change under a
government that is prepared to allow Formula I Racing to continue to
advertise tobacco through its sponsership scheme.  I am always hopeful,
though.  Perhaps one day we won't need a Breastfeeding Awareness Week
because everyone will know that breastfeeding is the normal way to feed
babies. I acted as editorial consultant on that LLL magazine you
received, Dr Newman, but I couldn't control the postmark!

While I am writing, I want to say thank you, Dr Newman, for posting your
Breast Compression Handout.  I got a call from a mother whose baby was
not gaining weight and few bowel movements.  Breast compression has been
working well.

Jill Dye