From:
Kirsten Berggren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:30:52 -0500
It is important to note that the LAM method may not work for moms who
return to work and are pumping for some of their feedings. While the baby
is still exclusively receiving breastmilk, and the mom may be meeting the
time guidelines for milk removal (no more than 3 hours between pumping
sessions), the pump does not seem to be as effective at maintaining the
hormones needed for LAM. When I returned to work 12 weeks after my son was
born, I pumped every 2.5 - 3 hours (worked 8hours 4 days/week), nursed on
demand at home, coslept and nursed frequently at night, used no supplements
of any kind (no solid foods, no water, etc), ovulated about 2 weeks after
my return to work and had my first menstrual period when he was 4 months
old.
Lots of individual variation in this - my best friend weaned at 7 months,
and had no cycle till the baby was 12 months old.

Important to emphasize to moms wanting to use this method the potential
effect of pumping and the degree of individual variation.

Kirsten Berggren
advocate and author for working and breastfeeding mothers