From:
Trish Warder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:31:07 +1300
Hi,
I tend to mostly lurk- Any way I was speaking to a mum I've worked with recently. I first saw her about 2 months before the baby arrived. She was adopting and was she keen and wonderful to work with. She is also a quadraplegic so we discussed the possibility of nerve damage impacting production. I helped her get baby to the breast within the first 24 hours x1- great feed, swallows heard and she obviously was expressing and getting milk off. Anyway, the baby is now 4 months old and breastfeeding. She gives formula too; apparently the most she's expressed has been 110ml.
Just thought this was the best story ever!
Also, a question....I have a mum who is exclusively breastfeeding- she is very fit and runs approx 10km every second day (I think), she wants to run in a marathon (overseas) when the baby is 5 months (I think its 40km), she doesn't want to put her breastfeeding at risk.......has anyone got any ideas to share?
We've talked about taking her time, building up (she knows all this), seeing what happens as-she-goes, lactic acid (baby is 6 weeks old now, she is still 4kg from pre-pregnant weight)

Kind regards,
Trish Warder
Lactation Consultant in private practice in NZ (AND LOVING IT!)