Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:46:16 EST
Another response to "adequate intake/slow gainer". His weight gain at 6
months has doubled and has done the normal slow-down around 4-5 months.  What's the
problem?  He was small to begin with, so you wouldn't expect him to be 20 lbs.

I know I've posted this before.  Both of my children gained around 2 lbs. a
month in the first 2 months, 1 lb. (roughly) in months 3 and 4, then less than
a lb. in month 5, picked up a little thereafter and continued to gain slowly
but steadily.  Both went from 75th percentile in my daughter's case,  85th for
my son, to 25th for weight at 6 months, stayed there, after barely doubling
their weight at 6 months.  Knowing what I know now, I realize I probably had a
milk supply that, after the first couple of months, was adequate but not
abundant.  But IT WAS FINE.  There are various patterns of weight gain that can be
within normal limits.  My children thrived, were healthy and happy and,
fortunately, I had a pediatrician who looked at the whole picture and was not
worried.  It may also be fortunate that I didn't know enough to worry!  If it
happened now, I might be going through all kinds of contortions to increase my milk
supply.  Who knows, maybe it would have been a good thing, but the point is
that it was not a problem and really there was nothing to be fixed.

We have not seen the baby in question here, but based on just the numbers and
descriptions of the baby's development and behavior, it doesn't sound like
anything needs to be fixed - other than dealing with possible allergies and
maybe getting another pediatrician.

                        Miriam Levitt, RN, IBCLC, Berkeley, CA, USA