From:
Olga Mireles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 11:09:01 -0500
My name is Olga Mireles.  I work in a breastfeeding clinic with Kathleen
Huggins.  I am an R.N. and a certified lactation consultant.  Because I am
bilingual, I deal mainly with our spanish speaking population.  Most of our
spanish speaking moms go home breastfeeding from the hospital.  I have had
approximately 5 moms in the last 2-3 yrs. that went home formula feeding.
 The duration of breastfeeding is also increasing.  Five to six years ago I
was shocked when most moms wanted to wean at 40 days.  Now I am receiving a
large
volume of calls from moms that want to wean past a year or
more.  I attribute our success rate to various factors.  WIC now provides
breastfeeding classes in spanish to women during their pregancy.  At our
hospital, General Hospital in
San Luis Obispo, where most of these women deliver,  we implement the 10
steps of the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative.  Every mother is evaluated
before discharge in
regards to her breastfeeding situation.  If any concerns or problems are
identified, we have protocols to implement.  A follow up appointment (days
vary according to each situation) in our breastfeeding clinic is scheduled.
 Each mother is called
 postpartum to assess her breastfeeding and medical status.
A breastfeeding warmline is available to these mothers seven
days a week, 24 hours a day.  I am so excited to be a part of
lactnet.