From:
Jennifer tieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:33:47 -0500
I am amazed sometimes at both how little it takes to discourage some women,
and how little it takes to encourage some others!
I am covering for one of our pediatricians for a few weeks while she is out
of the country.  A first-time mom delivered a healthy full-term infant last
night, and I saw the baby for this ped this morning.  The nurses sometimes
tease me that I can't resist trying to talk everyone into breastfeeding, but
I always feel I have to at least give it a try!  I had never met this lady,
and she had been bottlefeeding since the birth yesterday afternoon.  When I
asked her why she chose to bottlefeed, she admitted she had been thinking of
breastfeeding, but "chickened out" at the last minute due to being a shy
person. (?!)  I gave her my short spiel on the wonders of breastfeeding and
told her it was certainly not to late to start now.  She listened politely,
and said she'd think about it.  When I called the maternity floor for
another reason this evening, the nurse reported to me that baby has been
nursing well all day!  And that our IBCLC was on her way to see her for
general support and encouragement.  (She works for WIC, but is available to
do consults when needed.)
I don't know how long she'll plan to nurse, as she also said she was going
back to work soon, but baby will at least get some.  It took me only 1-2
minutes to have that breastfeeding discussion and cheers me considerably
that it was heard and acted on!  So the nurses will have to continue to
tease me.
Jennifer Tieman
Family Physician
Mom to 3, and new baby #4 expected 5/31/03