From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 15:55:05 -0400
I have to jump in on this thread. I've never tandem nursed, or nursed while
pregnant, but I have nursed an "older" child. She weaned between age 5 and
6, with some encouragement from me. We have discussed this thread before,
how moms really do "encourage" weaning, even if they are committed to child
led weaning. We make them wait, we put them off, etc. In my case, bf was
painful in the last year, I had no milk at all, and I was getting very
little sleep.  My children always woke and nursed frequently around the
clock even as older children, and so this was years of no stretches of
sleep. I do think nursing should be mutually enjoyable, but it isn't always.
I nursed thru bleeding nipples, and many many bites. (She would bite and
clamp down almost to the point of not being able to get her off when she
fell asleep). Some things we do for our children are not enjoyable to us,
but we do it for them. Of course, there were many many wonderful nursing
years and times. This is just to say that gently encouraging a weaning with
love, while "enduring" the less than wonderful times until the weaning,
should not traumatize the child.
Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA