Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 2015 09:03:29 +0100
Interesting stuff, Nikki.

You ask "In the face of such evidence, we might have to let the IQ bit go. What
matters most is parenting and having a healthy baby (now that's where
breastfeeding is so powerful).

What do you all think?"

I don't discuss IQ issues much with parents, anyway. Where I think
studies like this are *harmful* is that they become ammunition in the
hands of people/institutions/ who have their own personal/commercial
beef about breastfeeding and breastfeeding support.

I can't judge the defensive and unhappy women who had bad experiences
brestfeeding, and who then *welcome* studies like this as 'proof'
that breastfeeding support and education is all a dreadful sort of
conspiracy to make them feel terrible. I'm sad for them.

I do judge institutions and
people-who-should-know-better-and-who-just-like-being -iconoclastic,
and HCPs who don't know how to read research....who also *welcome*
stuff like this.

It's this sort of thing that fuels the motherhood 'wars' (almost
entirely an online creation, BTW, but which feel real enough), and
ultimately, work against bf support.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc and tutor, UK