From:
Tricia Jalbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 11:17:50 -0800
Elizabeth Baldwin's post moved me- for 2 reasons.  One is that just
recently, I've realized I'm getting more nervous about nursing my now
almost 17 month old in public.  And I live in the fairly
breastfeeding-comfortable San Francisco area.

Another is that before I was a mom and became interested in being a
lactation professional, I was a social worker.  I had a graduate-level
internship with Children's Services in Ohio.  I had a lot of quarrels with
my supervisor over issues of parenting "style."  (I won't go into the
details.)  I know both how easy AND how hard it is to remove a child from
the home.  Once the child is out, yes it's hard to get them back in, and
somewhat subject to CPS' whims- though not entirely.  But when CPS is
contemplating removing a child, the judge (in this Ohio county at least),
demands to know  A LOT of info, and this judge at least recognized the
delicate balance between protecting the child from harm and causing harm
due to separation.

Perhaps it would be good if we could get a hold of some of the statues and
examine them.  I know in Ohio it is called Senate Bill 89- not sure if
that's national to the USA or not.  I agree with Elizabeth that it is we
who should be struggling to change the common attitudes.  I personally have
never heard of a child being removed solely for extended breastfeeding.
While my gut reaction to this issue was the same as many of yours (feel
fear and hide), I'm now thinking along the same lines as Elizabeth.  I
actually doubt that a juvenile court judge would be so naive as to grant a
removal order solely on the basis of extended breastfeeding.  If a judge
does so, we all should be the first to help educate him or her, because he
or she sure needs a lot of educating!  And the CPS office in question would
need to be educated as well....

Tricia Jalbert