From:
Ann Conlon-Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:52:50 EDT

In a message dated 9/6/2005 7:27:45 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

While I'm on my post-hurricane rant about the importance of us  tackling
this issue from the front end, I have a question:  Where is  the AAP on
this?  Isn't it time they issue some huge, loud and flashy  press release
urging women in the storm-affected areas to  breastfeed?
Oh yes, yes, I agree... This is what is driving me the MOST crazy and
keeping me from sleeping at night.  Will someone please, someone important,  someone
with credentials up the ying yang, come to the media-- ALL of it and  make
this life saving announcement?  Why doesn't this happen, day after  deadly day?
Where is Dr. Sears?  Dr. Jack Newman?  Miriam  Labbock? All the MD's on the
LLLI Health Committees? The Surgeon General?   The Director of WHO?  Unicef?
WIC?  Doesn't the media want  to hear what they have to say?  I  can hear the
babies crying in my  head, when I close my eyes and I cannot bear it.  I have
gone to the Red  Cross begging them to let me go to any of the shelters, and
help get   mothers and babies breastfeeding and they look at me blankly
responding  with "Oh there are more important things than that to be done"  or,
"Honey,  there will be doctors to take care of that."  Oh sure.  So, they  insist
that I take their two day course in Crisis work over this next weekend  and I
suppose I will have to do that to appease them and get my foot in the  door, but
I just hope they don't give me some menial job.  Even if they do,  I suppose
there is no way they could stop me from lifting the shirts of mothers  and
getting their babies latched.  Ann Conlon-Smith, IBCLC,  Raleigh,NC