From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2012 07:57:22 -0500
Dear all:

I am actually discovering that I use my ears more than I thought, but I hear different noises than the five words.  I find the five words as daunting as seeing the so-called "bullfrog" throat.  My pp doula kept showing me my son's bullfrog throat and I never really got it.  I see some babies doing it, but I find it much easier to read visual cues than auditory cues.  I would suspect that the five words would be excellent for the mother who was in an orchestra who could HEAR that the battery from my scale made a high pitched whining noise.  She declared it was the note of A.  I also know that there are other mothers like myself that find it difficult to distinguish between the various noises.  I watched the clip and got it when I watched the clip, but I know for myself it will be like reading the excellent book on Chaos Theory. I can grasp Chaos Theory WHILE I read the book.  Get me in a conversation about Chaos Theory and I lose the threads of what it means.

One of the concepts I just found on the web was about Game Immersion.  My son plays X-box and I have entered into his world. According to this piece, to have immersion you have to have consistent sensory cues without disrupting distractors (like the game crashing or too many indicator bars).  So, when you are crawling down a creepy tunnel, the visual of spiderwebs and moss and broken stones and darkness creates the mood -- as does music that makes you feel like you are in a horror movie where something is about to jump out at you when you least expect it -- and when that creepy creature does jump out at you, the controller vibrates.  I works very effectively on me.  I panic every time and fumble with the controller.  So you have basically three senses to work with.  With breastfeeding you also have smell and taste to work with.  In Baby World the indicator bar distractors are the phone, the tablets, the computers and sometimes other people.  It can take the mom out of the mood of the "game" and bring her into the world of other adults.

In game world you can also fumble around too much with the controllers and your inventory bar.  You can collect way too many weapons and become so preoccupied with selecting just the right weapon that you lose the whole rhythm of the game.  Haven't we all met the mother who has seen every lactation consultant and tried every device known to womankind associated with breastfeeding?  You can also collect too much loot, books that you'll never have time to read (even though you can fast scroll without reading in game world) and gems and gold -- so that you whole time is spent collecting and not following the quest.  On the other hand, sometimes the right tool is just the thing to get rid of a particularly tough monster and that book left on a table in some room somewhere else in the game would have given you that essential strategy tip to beat that monster without dying 10 times before you figure it out.