From:
Ilene Fabisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 07:44:47 -0000
>In some ways a
>very bizarre contrast to the dis-attached, child abuse scenarios we (my
>family and I) saw during our visits to the Disney World theme parks.
>Several times I had to walk away from other parents waiting in line with
>their children who were cranky and tired and crying -- and the parents were
>threatening to leave them.
Boy did you hit the nail on the head, Kathy!  I had a most disturbing
ride through the Land pavillions boat ride "listen to the land".  The
"family" (and that is being most generous) seated two rows in front of my
coleader and I consisted of a young boy of about 3 and his parents.  He
was crying hysterically that he didn't want to go on the ride ("take me
home" he pleaded), there is a thunder storm at the beginning of this ride
and he was scared,  and his parents were basically ignoring him, which
was much better than what eventually transpired as we witnessed both
verbal and physical abuse of the child and the parents toward each other
(the parents actually took swings at each other).  The mother was busy
snapping flash pictures (after being told not to) and the father was too
busy yelling "shut the hell up" to the kid, poor kid just needed to be
comforted but they were obviously not capable of providing comfort. It
took every muscle in my body to not jump the seats and grab that poor
child! The really scary thing was that as the ride came to a halt the
child started crying that he didn't want to go home (he was probably
afraid of what would happen there)!  My coleader and I cryed our way
through the ride and alerted the Cast Member on the dock that he should
call DSS.  Well I think eventually someone was called as a security
officer was seen talking to them on our repeat ride through.  This was
the most horrifying experience I have ever witnessed and I hope I never
have to again!
BTW, Kathy your session was terrific, thank you for taking the time and
effort to present such wonderful information to us in such a clear and
entertaining fashion.  Every session I attended was of top quality.  A
big thank you to you all!

Warmllly,
Ilene Fabisch, IBCLC, LLLL, WIC Bf Co, Listmom wicbfnet