Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 11:15:48 EDT
In a message dated 5/27/99 10:25:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

<<
 Date:    Thu, 27 May 1999 08:12:08 -0600
 From:    Nicole Bernshaw <[log in to unmask]>
 Subject: Rhonda on Oprah

 Hi all,

 Not feeling well yesterday, I left work early and I saw Rhonda on Oprah
yesterday.
 Although I am most happy for her to have been rewarded for her achievements,
her
 breastfeeding efforts were not part of it. This was a disappointment for me.
Did
 anyone see the show?

 Nicole Bernshaw

Dear Nicole -

Yes, I saw it and was there (at Rhonda's house) when she got the call from
Oprah.  In Oprah's introduction of Rhonda, Oprah said she was surprised at
her home thinking she was doing a news piece for the local cable company
about breastfeeding.  Oprah then said "She's a big advocate". When Oprah
talked to Rhonda on the phone, Oprah mentioned "You're supposed to be doing a
local cable piece about breastfeeding?" These were the references on air
about Rhonda's breastfeeding "affiliation".

While I am disappointed that more was not mentioned about Rhonda's efforts
with La Leche League over the last years (and yes, her sister DID write about
Rhonda's affilation with LLL and how she helps breastfeeding mothers) - I am
pleased that Oprah did make these few references to breastfeeding during
Rhonda's brief segment. We all know that Oprah does not openly endorse
breastfeeding (or LLL for that matter) on her show.  IMNSHO, the was a big
step that Oprah even mentioned the word "breastfeeding" a few times and only
giggled once!

It sometimes takes up small steps.  Rhonda told me that in her thank you note
to Oprah, she encouraged Oprah to do a show dedicated to the seven founders
of LLL and/or breasteeding. Let's see how far it goes.  We can all help by
writing to Oprah (in positive comments) on her choice of Rhonda as a Mother
of the Month, and also encouraging Oprah to now carry it a step further and
do a show either on LLL or breastfeeding in general.  Oprah likes to do what
her viewer like - if we all wrote now, it would be a powerful message.  Don't
you think?

Thanks for watching and your comments.

Warmly,
Sheila Angalet