From:
Chris Betzold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:10:26 EDT
I agree with the previous poster.  One thing that I would explore is what are
her breastfeeding goals (in terms of both exclusive and lenght of
breastfeeding).  My guess is that her definition and your definition of breastfeeding are
different.  My milestones birth to 2 years handout which outlines and
provides anticipatory guidance about how breastfeeding behavior changes as the infant
grows might be helpful.  Also, if she believes she doesn't have enough milk
(even with what we consider good pre and post weights) my guess is again that
she percieves 50cc as minimal since the baby probably takes 3-4 ounces at a
time from the bottle.  So,  initially I would have offered her the option of
starting on fenugreek and now, since she is using sooo much formula I would also
offer Reglan.  I like that you gave her a supplementer and that she actually
used it.  Once  you have an understanding of her true goals then you may be able
to help her reach them.  Then sometimes moms reach their goals and decide to
exceed them.
Christine Betzold NP IBCLC MSN

www.theBFclinic.com