From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 16:20:37 -0500
Sent to me by an LC:

"I love gentian violet because women don't have to go to two doctors to
use it (one obstetrician for prescription for her, and another trip to
the pediatrician for the baby).  I love it because it is so effective;
one mother would only use it once because the purple color of everything
turned her off...and she still got better even with that one
application.  I love it because it is cheap...about $(US)2.50 for a
lifetime supply.  I love it because women can take charge of their own
healing.

"I recommend one swabbing to nipples, areolas, and baby's mouth once
every three days for two weeks which has proved effective.

"I get angry with physicians who won't treat because they don't see
anything in the baby's mouth, yet the nursing mother is screaming with
pain...the symptom of pain is not deemed sufficient for treatment by
many practitioners.  I know that there are folks critical of
overtreatment...because there isn't a clear diagnosis of thrush via
culture or smear, but if it is treated and gets better, I feel confident
in assuming it was thrush."

So there!

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC