Date:
Sun, 2 May 2010 06:08:50 +0000
It's very interesting watching these puppies nurse.  They are now five week old, and it is toddler nursing at it's finest!  Babies nurse 4-6 time a day, for short periods... The puppies have a full set of very sharp teeth--I know.  But I have noticed that when nursing, the tongue of the puppy is very much over the bottom teeth, just as in a human...  So if the puppy is really nursing, there can be no biting, just as in humans.

Also, we went to the adoption fair today to check it out, to see how it works... There was an abandoned puppy, I guess it was picked up from a high kill shelter, about 4 - 5 weeks old, so we decided to see if Luna, the  mother dog, would accept and adopt this little puppy who still needs mommy milk and needs to be in a litter to learn puppy behavior.  There was some concern (not by me) that the puppy could not, or would not remember how to, nurse.  Luna did, of course, accept the baby and she has adopted this new puppy as one of her litter.  The new puppy is a mini-pinscher and Luna' puppies are much larger, so there is size difference... But mom just saw a puppy that needed milk and a mommy... If only the world were such...

Joylyn