From:
Angela Alfe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:24:51 -0500
I just spoke with the mom to get more information...

Her 12 month old refuses the cup, nubby, etc, etc, etc.  She nursed her
first child for over 2 years and is not willing to "make" the child wean.
He has so far shown no desire to stop nursing at this point and her milk
supply has been low for almost 2 months now.

She does not eat dairy as her son seems to have a sensitivity to dairy.  He
does eat  "regular" food at all meals and she gives him nutritious snacks
(veggies, fruits, WW crackers, etc).  She said that she is not as worried
about his nutrients (he is getting them from food) but is worried about his
fluid intake.  He is not urinating as much as he should be.

She heard that giving a baby too much water would throw off the salt balance
in the body...but didn't think that giving straight almond milk (or any
other kind of milk) would be good.  Which is why she thought to dilute it
would give it some substance (kind of like mommy milk) with making sure he's
getting enough fluids.

She also wanted to supplement nurse (from what I understand) because she is
still producing milk...just not enough to properly hydrate baby.  But is not
wanting to wean him because 1) he's not shown any desire to stop and 2)
because even with supplement nursing with milk (with an SNS) he would still
be getting some of the breastmilk.

So, that is her reasoning (from what she's told me).

So, is there a danger to diluting milk with water if the milk is not being
intended to be a complete source of nutrition?  He does get yogurt and
cheese eggs, just not actual cows milk.