From:
pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 11:32:34 -0400

>Subject: Diabetic Mothers and Nursing
>
>I would like to know more about the latest information regarding the
>relationship between exposure to cows milk and later development of
diabetes.

ANN,

I just read last night, which is really rare, the "Nursing News", Chicago
Tribune, Sept. 18
It stated "New research disputes previous reports that showed an increased
risk of insulin-dependent diabetes associated with infant exposure to cow's
milk protein prior to 3 months of age, according to an article in JAMA.
 Researchers, who studied 253 children, wrote: "Cow's milk has many valuable
nutrients and forms a critical parrt of the diet of many infants and
children..... Thus, feeding practices that exclude cow's milk should not be
adopted without a strong scientific indication (which has) not been
established."  What a wonderful way to end my night last night. It is
difficult for me to understand where people come from at times.  That is the
latest into I have read Ann- good or bad.

"Friendship of a kind that connot easily be reversed tomorrow must have its
roots in common interests and shared beliefs"  Barbara W. Tuchman

Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Connection/ Medela, Inc
Naperville, IL