From:
Megan Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 07:58:55 -0400
I saw the Motherhood episode, and watched the breastfeeding segment in
horror! One women even said something like "There shouldn't be such savage
associtated with supplementing in the first few days," (said with outrage
while showing her husband bottlefeeding the neborn behind her shoulder).
While the guests were open & honest regarding their own experiences as
mothers, I felt there was no positive follow up. Really it was mostly,
'here's why motherhood is so hard and dark.' Yes, most of us can relate to
those insane moments, feelings of lonliness, and breastfeeding challenges.
Breastfeeding, for many of the guests, was a very difficult beginning which
"no one had prepared [them] for."

Naomi Wolf made some good points, thankgoodness she was there - a voice of
wisdom and objectivity. Al Roker's wife was also good, though she was the
one who got into the bleeding nipples. Ok, while that's true for some moms,
I felt the negative 'breast bashing' should have been followed up by a list
of REASONS one may encounter nipple/breast pain and/or bleeding (which
ofcourse Oprah made fun of on the way to commercial). There should have been
a LC on stage, and there most certainly should have been a list of
breastfeeding support groups listed, or atleast mentioned ("Go to Oprah's
website to find a list..." etc).

I taped the breastfeeding segment if anyone would like to borrow the tape.

Megan Allen
Breastfeeding counselor for Nursing Mothers, INC.
Newark, DE