From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:01:51 +1000
I'm forwarding this for someone who wanted to remain anonymous. What she
describes is certainly something I have seen.
Karleen Gribble
Australia

 I have helped a few mothers to relactate or try to relactate and nothing
discourages them more than to speak with another LC or a doctor who plants
the idea that they probably won't be able to do so
or that most women can't.  One particular mom had a ten week old and wanted
to get her little
 girl to breast because she was allergic to every formula she was getting. I
got her pumping and talked about the SNS (which she didn't want to try) and
gave her a bottle of fenugreek capsules.  She wasn't willing to get a
prescription for anything either.  In two days she was starting to develop
big drops of milk but only a couple per pumping.

 Then I went on vacation for one week.  When I returned she had stopped
trying.  She had spoken with her hospital LC and another other private
practice LC and both were very negative and said
she probably wouldn't be able to produce enough milk to matter.  Granted she
had been on the birth control pill for one month already but I had her stop
taking it and gave> her positive messages.  I have found that if you give
them the negative view that this might not work, from the beginning, they
don't want to really put their heart into it, expecting defeat.

 This type of thing has happened several times by the mom telling her Ped.,
ob/gyn, nurse or another LC what she is doing.  I am always angered by the
fact that their doctors never even suggest relactation when baby is having
a difficult time, but when our own profession tells them it won't work I
feel that I am beating my head against the wall.