Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 14:03:13 EDT
The basis is simply that we have no other basis!
When we look at outcomes of premies we need to look at more than "successful
breastfeeding": optimal growth (the ONLY standard we have is in utero growth
curves), optimal development, a lack of feeding-related morbidities.
Weight is NOT a criteria for discharge. Infants can be discharged at any
weight as long as they can feed well enough (by whatever method) to gain
weight consistently, maintain their own body temperature in an open crib, and
remember to breathe.
Nancy Wight MD, FAAP, IBCLC
Neonatologist