Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:30:30 -0700
I've always thought that the older the child the less likely they will
learn to or return to breastfeeding.  So for instance, if you have an
adoptive child who has never breastfed, and the child is older than a
year, then the likelihood of that child ever learning is much smaller
than say a three week old adoptive baby who has never breastfed.  That
doesn't mean I wouldn't encourage a mother to try to breastfeed.  I
would. But I would probably encourage them more to produce milk so that
human milk, even a small amount, could be given to their baby.  I would
also encourage bonding behaviors, such as cosleeping, babywearing, skin
to skin contact, and, if a bottle is given, bottle feeding as though the
baby was nursing (in the nursing position).  Also, I would encourage
that if a bottle was given, that the baby not be encouraged to hold
their own bottle, but instead the mother/father/caregiver should give
the bottle while holding, talking, etc. with the baby.

Joylyn