From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 01:21:41 +0000
Just a little more info on magnesium sulfate (mgso4). When the mother is
receiving it, usually intrapartally, it is being prescribed by the OB doc
(my experience, USA medical model). It is known to cause depression in the
baby. Therefore, once the baby is born ("the baby is out") the baby's care
is taken over by the pediatrician (again, USA medical model of care). My
take on this is that the pedi is concerned about further risk of depression
in the infant and wants the mgso4 to clear from the baby's system w/o more
of this medication being added on board. So approach this from their
perspective of really trying to do the right thing for the baby. Now Hale's
books provide the reassurance that this medication is given IV and not by
mouth due to poor oral bioavailability.  Therefore even if the baby nurses,
there is really no added load of this med onto the baby. Also, of course, we
try to use the argument that the baby generally recieves less milk in the
first couple days.
Having used this approach and provided the documentation to nursing staff
and docs, I still have not been successful getting the peds to 'allow' bf
until 12 - 24 hrs of mom being off the mgso4 but I have seemed to convince
the nurses who sometimes relax the guidelines a bit.
Good luck.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA