From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2010 08:27:05 -0700
I'm one of those who learns best in lecture, who likes to read statistics and who wants the FACTS - HOWEVER, I've learned through years of experience, classes and trainings, that if I want to keep those who DON'T learn the way I do, that I need to address the FEELING part of mothering/breastfeeding FIRST. Those who want the facts will stick around...but those who need to have their feelings addressed will "zone out" if you don't address their feelings first...

One way I do this is showing infant self-attachment - the old Righard video from Geddes Production FIRST - with almost all my presentations - like today speaking to medical students.

When I use it for parents,  I speak during the latches (there's only music in the background, so I'm not speaking over the narration, as happens with other videos), so that the message is clear
- with the first latch: BABY chooses, no, DEMANDS to breastfeed
- with the second non-latch: BABY NEEDS MOM EARLY AND OFTEN and
- with the third latch WHEN THINGS GO WRONG, YOU CAN STILL FIX IT!

This is a powerful opportunity to elicit from the participants how they feel - and usually my "talk" more follows what THEY are worried about than my curriculum - but usually most of the information that the type-A learner (that I am) is covered - just in a different format.

Rather than have ONE handout that goes through the whole thing (and they feel they could just get your handout and leave), you could have handouts that address specific issues - so as you pass them around, they can talk and discuss - and your handouts will tell you if you have anything that hasn't been covered that MUST be.

In my opinion, it's really better to dialogue than to lecture - and you may find that some of your audience can be your best "co-teachers"...

As for speaking about formula - I take care to not call it the "evil" thing (although to medical students today I WILL be speaking about the WHO Code and why it was necessary due to the evil COMPANIES)...but rather that it a CRUTCH to be used when something is broken until it can be fixed.  I find this is much less a turn-off to parents, especially to moms who did formula-feed, and allows everyone the opportunity to listen to the rest of my information.

Prenatally I try to address:
 - why breastFEEDING is different (not just breast MILK feeding)
 - that it is NORMAL but not necessarily EASY
 - that MOST mothers have doubts or questions (not problems, but WORRIES)
 - pick up the phone FIRST, not the bottle (even one with breast milk)
 - Here are the numbers to have in your wallet, refrigerator and given to your support persons

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA - USA

...who just went through the birth and first week of her 5th grandchild - Jacob - and appreciates so much her daughter-in-law who has faith the breastfeeding WILL work - despite an unplanned c/s, delayed milk production and jaundice!