From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 23:48:21 +0200
The Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale is used also during pregnancy to
screen for PPD
If anyone can get hold of a copy of my own book: "Life After Birth -
Everywomans Experiences of the First Year of Motherhood," there are chapters
about the link between the fantasies of pregnancy, the reality of childbirth
and mental health issues during the postnatal period.  It was published by
Element who went bankrupt so apart from Amazon who might have a copy left,
it can be obtained from me - for those in the USA, it can be sent from New
York. We are not supposed to plug products but if anyone can be helped in
this way I risk a reprimand!

The best resource for specific problems and questions is Postpartum Support
International
www.postpartum.net
This wonderful network  has regional co-ordinators and there are many in the
USA who can be referred to with problems and questions.  They also have a
library and wonderful resource centre, conferences and study programmes.
The focus of treatment of  mental health disorders whether they be in
pregnancy or postnatal is to help the mother without compromising the baby.
i.e. finding treatments and medications that are compatible with pregnancy
and breastfeeding.
After all, if a mother is suffering, how much worse she will feel if she
knows that her medication is dangerous for her pregnancy or that she cannot
breastfeed.
Lactation counsellors should know about these issues because it is not so
rare for women to suffer from depression when they wean - again a hormonal
upheaval and often a feeling of loss and change.

May the sun shine again on every woman who suffers PPD
Wendy Blumfield