From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 23:18:52 -0400
Hi, oh experienced ones:  In my rather limited experience, when I've
worked with babies who were rather sleepy and not latching in the first 24
hours postpartum and the nurses are looming with the bottles of abm (at my
institution, there are still quite a few who drip glucose water or abm on
mom's breast to get baby to latch on), I've usually been very successful
using the trick of helping mom to hand express colostrum into a spoon and
spoon feeding it to baby.  Yesterday, I encountered a mom, who
due to total mismanagement had not had her baby for 9 hours, and the baby
(at risk for hypoglycemia because of mother's gestation DM) got "jittery",
was given glucose water and formula for a dextrostix of 45 (read it and
weep), developed tachypnea and went to the NICU.  By the time I saw her,
she had finally gotten a pump the next morning, baby had gotten a couple
of more bottles of abm, and when she pumped not a drop came out. Of
course, I went to reassure mom that just because the pump couldn't get
anything, that didn't mean anything, and I helped her to hand express, but
truly not a drop came despite several attempts.  Fortunately by this time,
the baby woke up and we were able to get her to latch, and she sucked like
a champ, mother clearly had an MER, all's well that ends well.  But I was
wondering what you all do when you need to forestall the almost inevitable
bottles by trying to hand express colostrum and none comes out.  TIA,
Alicia.