Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 23:29:46 EST
You may remember the mom with the 6 month old who was vomiting blood, and
screaming, after trying many different formulas, that I posted about 2  weeks
ago. The Ped would not write a prescription for donor milk from a bank, so
after 8 days of consults, phone calls, etc, I wrote a 6 page report on the value
of breastmilk, the donor milk process etc, the mom then paid for an office
visit  to take the report and have him read it. He spent 20 minutes studying the
report  and then declared it marvelous, said he had no idea about this product
and  wrote the prescription ( the baby screamed the entire 25 minute office
visit).  Prolacta generously offered to donate banked milk and the shipping
costs, and  the use of a breastpump ( thank you, thank you), and  after   getting
FedEx overnight service to the Outer Banks, the baby received the milk.
After the first 12 hours on donor milk, the baby slept for an 1.5 hour nap, and
then woke up and played quietly on a pallet on the floor for 15 minutes.  Both
of these were the first time in this baby's life he has done that. For the
next 2 nights, he slept for 3 hour periods. On Sunday, he decided that eating is
 good, and ate like there was no end in sight--a normal growth spurt, but
this  mom has not ever seen any normal developmental stages, so she had a mild
panic  attack until I assured her that babies do that. He continues to sleep
better,  play with toys and has even started sitting on mom's lap listening to
her read  books  to him. This is a baby that squirmed, wiggled, screamed, cried,
 arched, fell asleep exhausted only to wake in 20-30 minutes, spit up every
feeding, and was on all types of stomach meds, pain meds, and baby food to
help  hold the food in his stomach. This mother has fought with this problem for
4  months since he went to total formula--she pumped and gave mixed feeds the
first  2 months. We have taken him off all baby food and formula and he is
just getting  human milk from Prolacta. The mom is pumping and is now getting 1
oz with each  pumping so she is mixing her milk with the banked milk. Everyone
is talking  about the "miracle milk" but all I see is a baby returning to
"normal". It  shouldn't be so miraculous for a 6 month old to sleep for 1.5 hours
and then  wake, eat and play without screaming. I think it is terrible that
our  pediatricians think that throwing up, screaming and having to be  on 5-6
meds is " normal". We are hoping the donor milk will aid in healing his gut,
and  that mom can continue to increase her milk by pumping.
The pediatrician is now notifying all his MD associates about his "find"  and
wants to write up this case history. I wonder how much of it will be from my
6 pages, my hours of phone consults, and research, (all of which was done as
a  volunteer) ????
So we are now watching to see how much continued healing occurs, and enjoy
watching this mom learn how to mother a happy baby. Thank you Elena for  your
gracious gift. There is no value that can be placed on this.

Barbara Whitehead, BS, IBCLC, RLC
eastern NC