From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:45:52 -0500
In a message dated 2/16/2004 5:50:18 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> >  > A short delay in the milk coming in is a TEMPORARY  problem.  You will
> >still
> >>  be able to breastfeed.  KEEP PRACTICING BREASTFEEDING AT EVERY FEEDING.
> >>  This way the baby won't forget what to do once pumping brings in your
> >milk.
> >

> >I feel like I'm being picky but the word "practicing" really leapt out at
> >me.
> >To me it implies "you're not doing it properly so you have to keep
> >practicing".  I'm sure that is not the intent but I suspect there would be
> >some new mums who would take it that way.
> >

> If it's  used, it needs a 's' not a 'c' - correct sp is
> practising!!!

I think Australian Susan, who would spell it "practising," was responding to a Yank poster, who correctly (for USA) spelled it "practicing."

Susan, I imagine the poster was referring to an ineffectively breastfeeding baby -- not mother -- when using the word "practicing." As long as mother understands the context, I find discussion re: "practice breastfeeds" really helps mothers maintain perspective as baby (or babies -- twins, triplets) learn to breastfeed/remove milk more effectively...

I'm of the camp that is definitely for early intervention re: red flags, unless baby is clearly demonstrating alert behavior re: frequent waking, deep latch, sustained nutritive suckling and adequate diaper outcomes. Many of the red flags noted are also associated with delayed BF initiation and/or infrequent early BF. We often can't know if such delays are truly natural  or iatrogenic (medical care induced). I bet many/most such delays are either baby ineffectively BF/removing milk or iatrogenic. Using milk expression, and in these cases where mother is somewhat incapacitated re: self-care the pump is more likely and can be taught to relatives for how to use if mom isn't able, WHAT is the benefit of waiting? Why would we want to "wait and see what happens" and increase the likelihood of having to expose baby to formula/foreign protein?

I work with mainly with mothers of twins/multiples (MOT/MOM) and most have two or more of the red flags mentioned, including the later mentioned use of MgSO4 for both preterm labor/birth and PIH. (And, of course, PIH/pre-eclampsia is associated with both MgSO4 use and edema.) I'm still trying to figure out why one poster noted that so many mothers find pumping hard. Although mothers with self-care deficits may have difficulty pumping, often more related to a medication effect of "spaciness" than ability, many also have relatives with them (at least in our area) who are ready and willing to help out with the pumping until mom is more with it once they understand the "why." I also find these mothers often do better/concentrate more clearly on flange placement with a one-sided pumping routine until they're feeling more together. Maybe it's more a matter of semantics, but it doesn't have to be "hard."

Karen G