Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 13:41:50 +0100
It was Radio 4's Woman's Hour, Anna, and I heard it.

Not as mad or bad  as your mum said!

Did not hear it all, though, as I must have missed the bit about bottle teats.

The experiece of the fair haired woman was that someone had seen her at a
party and said (erroneously, of course) she'd be bound to have problems
breastfeeding...but in fact the ensuing discussion revolved around the fair
woman's inverted nipples. The party guest told the woman with inv. nipples
that her husband should suck them out to help them stand out before the
baby comes...she did this, it worked, and bf went fine.

Well, said the presenter, that could be a useful tip for some.

(of course,  I know it wasn't evaluated in the famous MAIN trial : ))

The writer of the letter said, it's not something that everyone would feel
able to suggest to women, and she said it could be in a leaflet instead.

Well, only if it's been evaluated, though...a survey where n=1 needs some
further replicating...but with 'normal' ie non-adhesions inverted nipples,
it would have nothing but pleasurable side effects if the couple were happy
about it  : )

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK