From:
Ruth Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 1996 21:18:52 -0400
If any one knows Maryelle can you pass this info on to her a mom doesn't
want her baby to have an unnecessary lower GI  (scheduled for this
wenesday)_and I want to learn from this case, even if I have no impact on
outcome...

>        I just got off the phome with her she needs some Brasilian empowerment,
>the doctor put the baby on a hydrolyzed formula called nutramigen and told
>her to pump and freeze her milk I told her to stop eating dairy products
>and eggs, she eats alot of them.  The doctor has the baby off INH (the
>antibiotic for tuberculosis).  The baby still has some bleeding and has
>constipation now and has started emesis (vomiting) 1 or 2 times. he never
>did before sooooo the MD has sent her to see a gastoenterologist
>(pediatric) for a "lower GI exam with a tube" maybe barium enema and he
>told her she might not be able to breastfeed again and throw out her milk.
>The Peds GI group she is referrred to has a history of diagnosing
>Breastmilk Colitis and they FIRMLY BELIEVE THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS
>ELIMINATION DIET FOR THE MOMS THEY SEE it's Breastmilk colitis period .
>not protein sensitization mother is scared to death.... I can't believe
>this.....she want's to ask the doctor if she can try breastfeeding again
>and see what happens .....the hemaglobin has been normal, the occult blood
>test has been negative unless the streaks of blood  are visible. and they
>are not supplementing with iron or vitamins. the baby has been growing 1
>ounce per day even on breastmilk with 1 bottle formula, there was less
>bleeding before the changes and fewer problems, now the pediatrician
>recommends water for the constipation on nutramigen.....This mother is
>very committed to breastfeeding her baby but is scared silly. Her family
>who is "TOLERANT" of breastfeeding doen't even think ther's anything wrong
>with the baby. Peds say no INH till after lower GI, Dad has highly
>reactive Tb and yucky X ray soon to be started on INH I think.

My questions to Maryelle are:  when do you panic with streaks of blood if
you can't find any thing wrong and baby grows and poops normally on
breastmilk when do you eliminate human milk and is nutramigen the best
choice ???? Why and when is elimination diet for a willing mother NOT an
option ?? Why do GI folks not believe in sensitivities and allergists
immunologists say it is the root ?   where is  DR.Sami Bahna ???? what is
the first choice Barium enema, or colonoscopy ? mother told me they plan to
put a tube in the rectum and they didn't tell her that they will put the
baby to sleep for this I thought they did.

would added iron vitamins aggravate gut or not ??? if baby has frank blood
? If mom gives the frozen milk she's saved all this time should she add
Lactaid to bottles? if so would it help rest this gut and
 how much would you use per 30 ml ?