From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 21:50:09 -0700
I testified in court today on issues of BFing a 10 mos baby & dad wanting
24 hour visits. This case has already been mentioned on L'net. His atty
tried to remove me from the witness list as irrelevant. I was called anyway.

I was only allowed to discuss the Benes of BF, normal (common) vs desirable
duration of BF, the possibility of weaning over 2-3 weeks' time, and the
possibility of not being able to pump with standard rental pumps.

His atty relied on the AAP booklet The Woman's Guide to Breastfeeding. When
I questioned the use of the word 'force' as in 'mother should not force the
baby to breastfeed', the atty pointed me to the page she thought it was on.
What I saw was, 'mother should not force the baby to take a bottle'.
Finding the word 'force' I read that line out loud, which put it in the
transcript. She found the line she wanted and had me read it aloud also. I
wanted to mention teeth and baby's willingness to use them when something
s/he doesn't want is being forced into her/his mouth, but I was not allowed
to expound. I could only to answer yes or no, and read the line the atty
pointed out.

I did get to mention Katherine Dettwyler's conclusion from her research on
the natural age of weaning without cultural influences. His side briefly
displayed the ohmigawd! expression before they composed themselves.

The down side was, the judge did not allow me to discuss any emotional or
psychological aspects of weaning or separation from mother because I have
no credentials in those fields, i.e., I have no degrees in psychiatry,
psychology, sociology, no MD, no RN, etc. However, the AAP booklet is
admitted into evidence and the judge said he will read it.

I don't suppose these hearings ever go well from the LC's point of view. I
was focused on stating the BFing facts accurately, of listening very
carefully to the questions, and stuffing my frustruations at not being able
to explain.

So I went home and stuffed my frustrations in my mouth with a big hunk of
apple cobbler. That explains why I'm still 'fluffy'.

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC