Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 20:30:39 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
I am a hospital based LC WITH a private practice, and hopes of exclusively working at my private practice.  I have been debating with myself for a very long time about this move, based of course on this topic--can I make a living?  I love my LC work either way, but I am aware of the economic issues.  There are philosophical and personal satisfaction tradeoffs as well, and "demedicalizing childbirth," therefore, breastfeeding, would make a tremendous difference in my frustration level on Day 1 trying to convince a baby to open his mouth.

I recently spoke rather bitterly to my husband with large shoulders about the irony of having chosen another "women's profession," dooming me to low pay and little authority.  As a child of 1950, those were always the jobs I imagined when I grew up--and sure enough, I became a nurse.  Nurses nowadays, and teachers, are much better paid than in the past, and I think it might have something to do with A. need, and B. unions.  I prefer not to work as a floor nurse and feel that I am really good at lactation consulting, and my heart is in it.  I know that we are all extremely similar on this.  When I think about giving up my private practice because it is hard to juggle everything, I am so sad--I have been really invested emotionally and financially in this venture that gives me such pleasure.  However, I may have to concede and rely on hospital wages because the time is not right for reimbursement in other areas. 

I also believe that hospitals who do have LC's keep them at a token level to please customers, but as a result, overwork the small staff (or person) who is really trying to please those customers in the trenches.  If we were really perceived as vital and valued, there would be more of us and we would be included as part of an interdisciplinary team making rounds with doctors.  Not to mention that maybe we wouldn't have to argue so much about basic breastfeeding support and policies because we ARE the authorities.  

I will close for now before I get in trouble (again) and continue to try to make my decision about my future.  I, too, have considered seeking another profession or RN position, but I am so in love with this one.  

Sincerely but anonymous just in case.

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2